Reflection week 7

This week I will address these questions:

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

First, I want to talk about the modern healthcare article I read. This week was the most interesting out of any week that I have read. It was about nursing shortages and what it holds for the future.  In some areas of the nation there are severe nursing shortages. In the University of Missouri Health Care they are offering $10,000 to any employee who refers a nurse. Also, they get to be entered into an annual drawing for an all-expenses-paid trip to Hawaii. Further, the Health’s director of talent acquisition and development, says there’s no limit on how many people that can receive the bonus. Pete Callan, the Heath’s director of talent acquisition says, “I don’t want to give the impression we’re throwing money away. We still carefully watch our labor costs,” he said. “We’re still doing very, very, very well in controlling costs. We think of it more on the investment standpoint.” This was very interesting to me and also very enticing! How great for us nurses, but too bad that I live here in California. Still, it is important that we are preparing for the future. Listen to this information about the future of employed nurses: 

In a recent survey of 101 chief financial officers by the consulting firm Navigant, 43% of respondents said their nursing shortages are worse. 35% said the same of both physician and mental health provider shortages. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicted nursing will see the highest number of new jobs through 2024 of any position: 438,300. When evaluating staffing needs they need to staff appropriately an not just focus on clinical areas such as nursing or labs. Support areas such as transportation or environmental services are equally important.

This is what I ACTUALLY learned this week. It wasn’t so much the interview, but it was about the importance of nurses in the nation! We are needed. We are GOING to be needed. The hospitals need to be preparing now for needs in the future. 

I also had fun with the budgeting. I am in a personal budgeting class (outside fo UVU) that I am implementing in my own life. I got the help of an accountant to help me REALLY understand the assignment and had some fun. It definitely wasn’t up my alley, but interesting nonetheless.